The Jupiter-Pluto cycle is approximately 12 years in length. Jupiter spends around one year in each sign, so a Jupiter-Pluto conjunction occurs roughly every 12-13 years. Generally they are exact only once, but occasionally if Jupiter’s retrograde occurs near Pluto they meet up three times – a triple conjunction – which is what occurs in 2020.
Jupiter conjunct Pluto ~ Dates 2020
April 5th ~ 24 Degrees 53′ Capricorn
June 30th ~ 24 Degrees 06′ Capricorn
November 12th ~ 22 Degrees 51′ Capricorn
A triple conjunction between Jupiter and Pluto is quite rare, the last one was in 1955/1956 (November 2nd 1955, February 8th/June 16th 1956) and the next one is not until 2106/2107 (July 13th/November 2nd 2106 and February 19th 2107). With Jupiter and Pluto being exactly conjuct three times, their influence is extended over a greater length of time as well as intensified.
The planetary cycles of the slower moving planets (Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune/Pluto) and the phase they are in, determine the nuances and the unfolding story of life. No planetary cycle exists or operates all alone, they unite and combine to create a whole global picture.
The Saturn-Pluto conjunction on January 12th 2020 is at the crux of the outbreak of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) and the resulting financial fallout, but while undeniably potent is only part of the whole astrological picture. At the exact conjuction, they were also joined by the Sun, Mercury and Ceres forming a 5 planet stellium. Jupiter having entered Capricorn on December 3rd 2019 and the South Node of the Moon were also in Capricorn.
The Rulership Book by Rex E Bills specifies Pluto has rulership of viruses, epidemics (along with Mars, Neptune and the 12th house) and insightfully given the potential origin of Covid-19 – bats.
Historically Saturn-Pluto aspects have aligned with the discovery and emergence of viruses, but significantly Jupiter conjuct Pluto has links to pandemics. Jupiter, the planet of expansion and globalisation perhaps enhancing the worldwide spread of viruses – Pluto. Before Covid-19, three influenza pandemics occured in the 20th century – 1968 (Hong Kong Flu), 1956-58 (Asian Flu) and 1918 (Spanish Flu) – all years when Jupiter-Pluto conjuctions occured. The AIDS pandemic was first reported about in 1981 (a Jupiter-Pluto conjuction took place on November 2nd 1981, and a Saturn-Pluto conjuction 1982/83) and by 2018 – 37.9 million people were living with AIDS and 1.7 million new cases were diagnosed (Wikipedia).
Going further back in time the Black Death was the most devastating pandemic in history, causing the death of an estimated 75 – 200 million people, peaking in Europe between 1347 – 1351 (Wikipedia). A time period also aligned with Jupiter-Pluto and Saturn-Pluto –
- March 16th 1347 ~ Jupiter conjuct Pluto ~ 13 degrees Aries
- April 13th 1350 ~ Saturn conjuct Pluto ~ 17 degrees Aries, square Jupiter at 12 degrees Cancer
The last Jupiter-Pluto conjuction coincided with the global financial crash of 2007-08, and the use of taxpayer funds, along with the creation of money to bail out the banks. Corruption (Pluto) and risk-taking (Jupiter) with financial services and innovations ended in banks crashing, and the necessity for huge sums of money (Jupiter – wealth) to be made available to them by governments, as the banks were considered too powerful and influential (Pluto) to collapse.
Both themes are clearly discernible in 2020 as we approach the first exact conjuction, except now it is businesses and the people needing financial assistance. What is also notable is that both Jupiter-Pluto conjunctions that occured around financial crisises (2007 and 1931) were accompanied by Jupiter-Uranus squares – and the next Jupiter-Uranus square is on January 17th 2021.
Previous Jupiter-Pluto Conjunctions ~
Below is a list of some occurrences that took place around Jupiter-Pluto conjuctions along with any Jupiter-Uranus or Saturn-Pluto aspects that were simultaneously aligned – (all historical dates and information from Wikipedia).
* December 11th 2007 ~ 28 23′ Sagittarius ~ Jupiter Square Uranus January 22nd/May 11th/October 9th 2007
- Global Financial Crash 2007-2008.
* December 2nd 1994 ~ 28 26′ Scorpio ~ Saturn-Pluto Square March 1993-January 1994
- Rwandan genocide, 500,000 – 1,074,016 deaths, April 7th – July 15th 1994.
- Channel Tunnel opened between England and France on May 6th 1994.
- Nelson Mandela elected as South Africa’s first black President, his inaugaration took place on May 10th 1994.
- UK National Lottery introduced, first draw took place on November 19th 1994.
- Mad Cow Disease (BSE) spreads to people – The human form is known as Variant Cretzfeldt-Jakob disease – 1994-1996.
* November 2nd 1981 ~ 24 53′ Libra ~ Saturn-Pluto Conjunction October 1982-July 1983 Jupiter-Uranus Conjuction February-October 1983
- The CDC publishes an article in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: Pneumocystis Pneumonia-Los Angeles – the first official reporting of what will become known as the AIDS (Aquired Immunondeficiency Syndrome) epidemic, June 5 th 1981. The first case of AIDS in the UK is diagnosed on December 12th.
- Between the time that AIDS was identified and 2018, the disease has caused an estimated 32 million deaths.
* October 13th 1968 ~ 23 39′ Virgo ~ Saturn-Pluto Opposition April 1965-February 1966 Jupiter-Uranus-Pluto Conjuction November 1968-July 1969
- Hong Kong Flu Pandemic, causing about 1 million deaths worldwide, 1968/1969.
- Tlatelolco massacre in Mexico City, 300 – 400 dead and over 1,000 injured, October 2nd 1968. Peaceful demonstrations had been taking place all summer protesting the political regime and the amount of money spent on the Olympics. The massacre occured 10 days before the openning of the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City when the government violently suppressed the political movement.
- 1968 Olympics Black Power salute. Two African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos both raised a black-gloved fist during the medal ceremony.
* Triple Conjunction ~ November 2nd 1955/February 8th/June 16th 1956 ~28/27/26 degrees Leo ~ Saturn-Pluto Square December 1955-October 1956 Jupiter-Uranus Conjuction September 1954-May 1955
- Asian Flu Pandemic, causing about 2 million deaths worldwide, 1956-1958.
- Montgomery bus boycott – led by Martin Luther King that bought the end of racial segregation on all Montgomery public buses, December 5th 1955 – December 20th 1956.
- Civil Rights Movement, 1955-1968 (An entire Jupiter-Pluto cycle).
- Kroc’s first McDonald’s openned April 15th 1955.
- Disneyland opens July 17th 1955.
- Suez Crisis October 29th-November 7th 1956.
- First vaccine against Polio – the Salk Polio Vaccine becomes available April 1955.
* August 1st 1943 ~ 6 degrees 52′ Leo
- World War II (September 1st 1939-September 2nd 1945). On July 25th 1943 Benito Mussolini the Italian dictator, who during WW II had allied himself with Adolf Hitler was overthrown and arrested.
* May 27th 1931 ~ 19 16′ Cancer ~ Jupiter Square Uranus September 5th 1930, February 2nd/May 17th 1931
- The 1931 China Floods – one of the most lethal natural disaters of the 20th century with an estimated death toll ranging from 422,499 to 3.7 to 4 million.
- The “Gandhi-Irwin Pact” is signed in India, March 5th 1931 – the British Government agree to free all political prisioners and lift the salt tax in exchange for a suspension in the civil disobedience movement.
- Nevada, USA legalizes gambling, March 17th 1931.
- The “Geneva Convention” (1929) pertaining to the treatmement of prisoners of war entered into force June 19th 1931.
- The European banking crisis of 1931 led to the UK leaving the gold standard. In Germany the crisis deepened, bringing upheaval that led to Hitler coming into power in January 1933.
* August 10th 1918 ~ 6 degrees 02′ Cancer ~ Saturn-Pluto Triple Conjuction 1914/1915
- End of WWI (November 1918). Spanish Flu Pandemic – deaths are estimated to have been anywhere between 50 to 100 million, January 1918-December 1920. In August 1918 a more virulent strain appeared simultaneously in Brest, France, Freetown in Sierra Leone and in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Prohibition – U S Congress passed the tempory Wartime Prohibition Act, which banned the sale of alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content higher than 1.28% on November 18th 1918, just after the war ended. After the ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment, Prohibition continued until 1933.
Jupiter-Pluto links to pandemics as well as extremes (Pluto) of wealth (Jupiter) – global financial crashes both the Great Recession of 2007-2009 and the Great Depression of 1929-1933 along with enterprise, global businesses, vast profits and gambling. Additionally, Jupiter-Pluto is connected with power, oppression and persecution, governmental authority and legislation – as well as overcoming it, by mass protests – the power of the masses. It’s a tenacious, potent influence that can be utilised ruthlessly to crush, exploit, attain control and material profit or with wisdom, accompanied by honourable, worthy and just motivations. The quest for domination or liberation.
Illustrating the powerful potential of Jupiter-Pluto are Mahatma Ghandi and Nelson Mandela, who are both Jupiter-Pluto conjuct natives. Great, inspiring leaders who changed the world, Gandhi sought Indian Independence and Mandela the end of apartheid in South Africa – both, after long struggles were ultimately successful.
Gandhi and Mandela were both complex individuals, but they shared a compelling necessity to stand up for their beliefs and resist oppression, regardless of any consequences. An inner steel and resolve, prepared to face adversity and sacrifice (Pluto) – Gandhi and Mandela both spent time in prison, Mandela for 27 years – as their conviction in the virtue, integrity and essentiality of their actions was irrepressible (Jupiter). An ability to see the bigger picture, maintain optimism and faith (Jupiter) no matter how cruel, severe and challenging the scenario (Pluto).
Jupiter-Pluto from COSI ~ Psychological Correspondence, positive – “Striving for the development of power either in the purely spiritual and mental spheres or in the material sphere, … an appreciation of the need for social or religious regeneration .. spiritual and intellectual leadership.” Negative – “Pursuit of fanatical aims, desire to exploit the masses (plutocrats),” Probable Manifestations –“Leading or participating in uprisings, … conflict with the authorities and the executors of govermental power (arrest).” ~ The Combination of Stellar Influences, Reinhold Ebertin, page 234
The outbreak of Covid-19 has led to fear of death and dying (Saturn-Pluto), but the cycles of life dictate death is an inevitable part of life, as are viruses (Pluto) – throughout history humanity has encountered and suffered from pandemics and survived (Pluto). This current crisis will also in time pass – Pluto is the cycle of life, death, transformation and rebirth.
What will be indelible is the trauma of the families left behind by those Covid-19 overwhelms. The pain and grief of losing a loved one suddenly, the ordeal of being unable to be with them, provide comfort in their final moments, have a proper funeral, sorrow and devestation that ripples ahead influencing the future. We all weep for and empathise with them.
Collectively we are at a point in time where uncertainty about the future is rising to a cresendo. No-one is clear or sure about when the danger from Coronavirus will diminish or the fallout, the repercussions and implications for the landscape ahead.
I live in the UK, and currently the same as many other countries we are under a lockdown, which police have been granted sweeping powers to enforce. The 1st Jupiter-Pluto conjuction on April 5th features Mars in Aquarius square Uranus in Taurus – suggesting the potential for unrest (Mars), around diminished financial resources, especially being unable to afford the basic necessity of food, along with the restriction of freedom (Uranus in Taurus), is notable.
Aquarius is ruled by Uranus, so equally Mars and Uranus could show up as inspired, innovative, unexpected (Uranus) actions (Mars) – that open up new approches or methods to tackle problems. Plausibly involving more financial assistance for those in desperate need or plans for how lockdowns will be lifted.
Additionally Mercury is conjuct Neptune in Pisces, highlighting compassionate understanding and intuitive awareness, a global outpouring of empathy as we all endure and experience this crisis together. Many of us will be meditating and/or praying. Simultaneously confusion will be widespread – the lack of clarity surrounding the future. Further mixed messages from governments and the media are likely, as well as the possibility of information being hidden or deceptive.
Looking further ahead, what is presently unmistakable is the shift and sometimes radical change (Pluto) in outlook and perspective (Jupiter) that Coronavirus has bought to light. The evaluation of what is actually, truly important in life. Family, loved ones, health, a heartfelt appreciation of the workers essential for society to function – along with the priority of improving investment in health care, a universal wage so basic needs are met for all and developing a course of action to tackle the climate emergency and heal the Earth, our home.
Realistically, many challenges await us as we journey through the current, unfolding picture and face themes of death and survival. It is likely to be a lengthy trek. But wisdom (Jupiter) can be discovered from these dark, usually concealed depths (Pluto), that potentially could lead to transformation, a healing force (Pluto) that, in time benefits (Jupiter) all.
Jupiter-Pluto brings extremes, both good and ill. Jupiter enhances the influence of Pluto, but eventually Jupiter tips the balance in favour of evolvement and regeneration – Pluto is the cycle of death, transformation and re-birth – have faith, retain hope, as eventually there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
JUPITER CONJUNCT PLUTO NATIVES
Christopher Wren 0 09′ Kris Jenner 0 16′ Maria Shriver 0 26′ Bill Gates 0 33′ Johnny Rotten 0 48′ Mick Jagger 1 12′ Anthony Bourdain 1 12′ Bjorn Borg 1 13′ Jim Jones 2 05′ Mahatma Ghandi 2 30′ Mel Gibson 2 43′ Christine Lagarde 2 47′ Will Smith 2 59′ Johannes Kepler 3 20′ Tom Hanks 3 22′ Apollo 10 (launch date) 3 40′ Air France Flight 8969 (hijacking) 3 55′ Nelson Mandela 4 22′
JUPITER ~ The Wheel of Fortune SAGITTARIUS ~ Temperance PISCES ~ The Hanged Man
PLUTO ~ Judgement SCORPIO ~ Death
Image by John Corner on Unsplash